For a great start to the cycling season: a renovated cycle lane on Verovškova ulica, and new BicikeLJ stations in front of Novartis in Slovenia and on Vodovodna ulica
- With the BicikeLJ stations in front of the entrance to Novartis in Slovenia administration building on Verovškova ulica and Vodovodna ulica, the Municipality of Ljubljana and Europlakat have brought public transport and sustainable forms of mobility closer to citizens and Novartis associates.
- The renovated cycle lane along Verovškova ulica encourages cycling as well.
- The Mayor of the Municipality of Ljubljana and the President of the Board of Management of Lek and Novartis Country President Slovenia: "We want to see even more cyclists and users of all forms of mobility that are environment and health friendly".
Zoran Janković, Mayor of the Municipality of Ljubljana, Robert Ljoljo, President of the Board of Management of Lek and Novartis Country President Slovenia, and Matjaž Čepon, Technical Director of Europlakat, welcomed the cycling section of the Lek Sports and Cultural Association in front of the Novartis in Slovenia administration building today. They delivered bicycles for the new station in the BicikeLJ public network. The renovated cycle lane, which runs along both sides of Verovškova ulica, and the new BicikeLJ station on Vodovodna ulica have also started to thrive.
Establishing sustainable mobility is one of the principles of Novartis and Lek for the transition to a carbon-free society, explained Robert Ljoljo. "Our aim is to contribute to reducing emissions and congestion in both urban and intercity traffic. We want to encourage even more associates to choose sustainable ways of getting from home to work. The transport options provided by public infrastructure play a major role in this, and we are pleased to see the renovated cycle lanes along Verovškova ulica and the new BicikeLJ station in front of our administration building." The President of the Board of Management of Lek and Novartis Country President Slovenia is confident that cycling and public transport will increase in popularity among associates at the Ljubljana site. Currently, 8% of associates already cycle to work occasionally or regularly, 5% take the bus or train, 2% walk to work regularly or occasionally, and 10% carpool.
The second new, connecting bicycle rental station at Vodovodna cesta 90 is located close to the Brinje railway station and the city transport station on Slovenčeva cesta, which will make it easier for Novartis associates to travel both within the wider city area and to other forms of public transport.
MOL has also redesigned the cycle lane along Verovškova ulica, where there are now separate lanes for cyclists and pedestrians on each side of the street. The lane is a double-sided one-way cycle lane. For more comfortable and safer cycling in the lanes, there are also curb drop-offs at driveway crossings.
Did you know?
- The new stations on Verovškova ulica and Vodovodna ulica provide Ljubljana residents and visitors with 83 stations and a total of 830 bicycles in the BicikeLJ self-service bicycle rental system operated by Europlakat.
- Novartis's Ljubljana site has 3 stations, which are used daily by up to 116 Novartis associates in the summer months and 33 in the winter months, with an average of 64 total cyclists per day.
- The Lek Sports and Cultural Association has been active since 2003, with a cycling section in addition to 13 other sports sections.
- The Copenhagenize Index, which is a ranking of bicycle-friendly cities, ranked Ljubljana 14th among the 20 most bicycle-friendly cities in the world (2019).
- Ljubljana will be hosting the Velo-city World Cycling Summit from June 14 to 17, 2022. The main motto of this largest cycling convention will be "Cycling the change".
Novartis is the leading provider of medicines in Slovenia, where Lek d.d., Novartis Pharma Services Inc. and Sandoz d.d., operate.Together we are building and maintaining the reputation of a dynamic, ethical, and trusted pharmaceutical company. Lek develops, manufactures, and markets effective, safe, and high quality medicines and active pharmaceutical ingredients. With our knowledge, quality, and experience we have gained an important role in Novartis' organizational structure, especially in theNovartis Technical Operations, Global Drug Development, Novartis BusinessServices, and the generic division Sandoz. We are the leading Sandoz development center, and one of the key development sites for technologically complex projects. We invest a great deal in the development, education, and training of our employees. Novartis invested in Slovenia more than EUR 3billion since 2003.
Sandoz, a Novartis division, is a global leader in generic pharmaceuticals and biosimilars. Our purpose is to pioneer access for patients by developing and commercializing novel, affordable approaches that address unmet medical needs. Our ambition is to be the world’s leading and most valued generics company. Our broad portfolio of high-quality medicines, covering all major therapeutic areas, accounted for2021 sales of USD 9.6 billion.
Novartis is reimagining medicine to improve and extend people’s lives. As a leading global medicines company, we use innovative science and digital technologies to create transformative treatments in areas of great medical need. In our quest to find new medicines, we consistently rank among the world’s top companies investing in research and development. Novartis products reach nearly 800 million people globally and we are finding innovative ways to expand access to our latest treatments. About 108,000 people of more than 140nationalities work at Novartis around the world. Find out more at www.novartis.com.
This press release contains statements and forecasts of future business operations.The forecasts include estimates based on all the information currently available to us. Should these forecasts prove unreliable, the actual results of business operations could be different from those expected.
For further information, please contact:
Communication & External Engagement
Lek Pharmaceuticals d.d.
Telephone: 01 580 22 43