Slovenian researchers awarded for outstanding scientific achievements
- Researchers from the Development Center Slovenia and Biologics Technical Development Mengeš received 17 Sandoz awards for research and development.
- This year again, Slovenian researchers received both awards for scientific excellence, with which Sandoz recognizes the best scientists with many years of outstanding achievements in research and development.
- Slovenian researchers at Sandoz and Novartis accomplish outstanding scientific and business achievements every year. This reflects, among other things, the excellent cooperation between industry and academia, as scientific achievements are always the result of cooperation.
Sandoz, a Novartis division and the world leader in generic and biosimilar medicines, annually presents awards for outstanding achievements of the associates in research and development. Among this year’s winners, Slovenian researchers from Development Center Slovenia and Biologics Technical Development Mengeš were once again at the forefront. They received as many as 17 Sandoz scientific awards.
"I am proud that our teams from development units operating at Novartis in Slovenia have been recognized for many years as leading experts in the development of innovative approaches and processes and new development paradigms for the development of biologics, biosimilars and generic medicines. We are making important steps in the fields of digitization, data science and automation and introducing them into our daily work. With a strong innovation culture and curiosity, and in close cooperation with external scientific institutions, we are constantly building new knowledge and expanding the possibilities of developing new, complex medicines. In this way, we encourage breakthrough innovations that bring significant health benefits and improve the lives of patients," said prof. Uroš Urleb, PhD, Head Global Technical Development Biosimilars at Novartis and Member of the Management Board of Lek for R&D.
"Sandoz Development Center Slovenia is an important part of Sandoz's product development network, as we carry out about half of all development projects of Sandoz and annually develop and launch about 20 new medicines on markets around the world. I am proud that the knowledge, innovation and creativity of our colleagues have once again been recognized at the highest level of Sandoz. In their work, they constantly think about innovative approaches and methods, digitalization and automation of certain development processes and their improvements, as all this significantly contributes to the successful work and realization of our mission," said Matjaž Tršek, Head of the Sandoz Development Center Slovenia.
With the Scientific Excellence Award, Sandoz annually recognizes the best researchers with years of outstanding achievements in research and development. This year, the winners of both awards are once again from Slovenia: Dejan Krajcar from Development Center Slovenia and Matjaž Brinc from Biologics Technical Development Mengeš.
- Dejan Krajcar has delivered several new data analysis approaches and a deeper understanding of bioequivalence studies results. With his insights and innovative approaches, he has significantly contributed to risk management and successful bioequivalence studies and at the same time managed to reduce the number of studies required in the development process. In addition, he continues to participate in initiatives aimed at enhancing the knowledge and efficiency at which our development teams can operate.
- Matjaž Brinc is one of the pioneers of the biosimilars technical development in Mengeš. As a key bioprocess expert in Biologics Technical Development (DSB, TDB), he has contributed to the technical development of practically all biosimilar projects. With his scientific excellence, curiosity and team spirit he has been at the forefront of developing new innovative concepts that contribute significantly to a more successful development of biosimilars.
Researchers from Development Center Slovenia and Biologics Technical Development Mengeš received awards also in the following categories:
- Innovator of the Year,
- Above & Beyond Support,
- Digital Achievement,
- OpEx Breakthrough,
- Exceptional Clinical Study,
- Challenging Filing,
- Cultural Ambassador,
- Rising Star,
- Best scientific poster,
- Fix It Awards for ideas.
Novartis is the leading provider of medicines in Slovenia, where Lek, Novartis Pharma Services and Sandoz, operate. Together we are building and maintaining the reputation of a dynamic, ethical, and trusted pharmaceutical company. Lek develops, manufactures, and markets effective, safe, and high quality medicines and active pharmaceutical ingredients. With our knowledge, quality, and experience we have gained an important role in Novartis' organizational structure, especially in the Novartis Technical Operations, Global Drug Development, Novartis Business Services, and the generic division Sandoz. We are the leading Sandoz development center, and one of the key development sites for technologically complex projects. We invest a great deal in the development, education, and training of our employees. Over the last eight years, the company has created more than 2,700 jobs, making us one of the biggest employers in Slovenia. Novartis invested in Slovenia more than EUR 2.5 billion since 2003.
Sandoz, a Novartis division, is a global leader in generic pharmaceuticals and biosimilars. Our purpose is to pioneer access for patients by developing and commercializing novel, affordable approaches that address unmet medical needs. Our ambition is to be the world’s leading and most valued generics company. Our broad portfolio of high-quality medicines, covering all major therapeutic areas, accounted for 2019 sales of USD 9.7 billion. Sandoz is headquartered in Holzkirchen, in Germany’s Greater Munich area.
Sandoz is on Twitter. Sign up to follow @SandozGlobal at http://twitter.com/Sandoz_Global.
Novartis is reimagining medicine to improve and extend people’s lives. As a leading global medicines company, we use innovative science and digital technologies to create transformative treatments in areas of great medical need. In our quest to find new medicines, we consistently rank among the world’s top companies investing in research and development. Novartis products reach more than 800 million people globally and we are finding innovative ways to expand access to our latest treatments. About 109,000 people of more than 140 nationalities work at Novartis around the world. Find out more at www.novartis.com.
This press release contains statements and conclusions based on projections of Lek’s future business operations. These estimates are derived from the best information currently available. In case these forecasts prove unreliable, the actual results could prove different from those projected.
For additional information contact:
Lek Pharmaceuticals d. d.
Phone: +386 1 580 22 43
Fax: +386 1 580 24 32